Saturday, September 1, 2012

Thank you, Uncle Craig (which also means Aunt Lorna)

I couldn't let this chance go by to thank you for the good influence you have been to Haydn and me and our children. Thank you and Aunt Lorna for letting Ben be part of your life those summers in Montana, for taking him to Glacier National Park, for the extra work it was to roll another person into your life, the food and the arranging, the letting go of a little more of your quiet time, your own time. Thank you both for letting us visit you that summer and for the patience and love you always show us (most recently when we stayed with you in your desert abode close to St. George). You both have always been high in my esteem (too high for me to sit down and relax around you at first). I wanted to be like Aunt Lorna, so warm and full of love for beauty, good music and literature. I'll never forget the image of you and Aunt Lorna as you left the church where Ben and Emily had their Utah reception, and the thought crossed my mind that it was just you two, no one else was hanging onto your coat sleeve, no one tagging along--two amazing souls, hand in hand, walking away together. Now Haydn and I are there in that place--we walk away, hand in hand, together, but the little birds have all left the nest. I am grateful for every card and every visit and every kind word you have given us or any of our children. So many of them have enjoyed time at your hearth. You and your children have helped me see outside my little narrow-sided box and know that the gospel is big enough for many opinions, many ways of seeing things, and that I am one small human being who has needed more times than not to see outside that box to get things more right within me. I love the gospel with all my heart, and you and Aunt Lorna and your family are part of that gospel to me. I cannot even trace all the little memories I have of you all to their inception--I just know the overall feeling I have because of any interactions or perceptions is one of gratitude that I could be included in this family, and that I have the hope of knowing you all (including Grandma and Grandpa McCune and their parents) better some day on the other side of the veil. Thank you again for who you are--someone we all love. Love, Doris Castleton

No comments:

Post a Comment